We have an ensemble for all ages!
If you are between the ages of 11 – 25 years and have a passion for performing jazz, we have an ensemble for you! Simply fill out the “audition form” on this page and click the button under each ensemble description to download the audition material.
Junior Stars – ages 11-15 years
Perfect for the younger musician looking to gain additional experience in a jazz ensemble. Students will enhance their musical skills by performing a wide range of jazz repertoire.
If you have any further questions, please contact the director,
Nora Nolan at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Rising Stars – ages 15-19 years
A more advanced group for musicians looking to challenge themselves.This ensemble is ideal for the more accomplished high school musician.
If you have any further questions, please contact the director,
Matt Weil at email@example.com.
All Stars – ages 15-25 years
For the advanced high school or post secondary school musician.
This polished group performs advanced music, much of which is at a professional level.
If you have any further questions, please contact the director, Allan Gaumond at firstname.lastname@example.org
Auditions will take place at the Old Fire Hall Centre for the Arts located at
334 Wilson St E in Ancaster.
The audition schedule for all three bands is:
Wednesday September 12, 5:00 p.m. – all saxophones
Wednesday September 12, 7:00 p.m. – all trumpets and trombones
Thursday September 13, 5:00 p.m. – all rhythm section players
Thursday September 13, 7:00 p.m. – all vocalists
Students will present their audition to the artistic panel, which will include the musical director from each band.
Those who wish to be considered for more than one band should prepare the material
for the highest level ensemble only and indicate their interest in multiple groups at the audition. Auditions will be ongoing until all ensembles are full.
Junior Stars Audition Form
Rising Stars Audition Form
All Stars Audition Form
Requirements for Ensemble Members
1. Successful Candidates joining one of the three 20 piece ensembles in September. Cheque to the order of Hamilton All Star Jazz Band Inc., or payment online, must accompany all successful applicants at the first night of practice. This may be cash or a cheque in the amount of $350.00; or one cheque in the amount of $125.00, plus one cheque in the amount of $125.00 post dated no later than October 31st, plus one cheque in the amount of $125.00 post dated no later than November 30 for a total of $375.00. Payments will be pro-rated for candidates joining the ensembles at other times in the year.
Hamilton All Star Jazz Band Inc. is a registered charitable organization. We operate three ensembles to provide talented young people with the opportunity to perform great music in the company of others sharing the same dedication and standards. It is our desire to make participation available to the widest group of students in the community regardless of financial circumstances. If you have any concerns in this regard please have a private and confidential word with your Music Director.
2. You will be expected to be available for all rehearsals starting the last week of September through to the end of June. A list of days and times specific to each band is available from your Music Director. Please try to arrive early so that we may use the time to the greatest benefit.
3. You will be expected to be available for all performances. A list of currently confirmed performances is available from your Music Director. Any additional performances are always checked with ensemble members first before being accepted.
4. You will require a yearlong calendar on the first night of practice and every night thereafter. Please make sure that you continue to participate with your school ensembles, etc., but you should try to keep an accurate calendar of events so that you can avoid any conflicts.
5. All ensemble members will require appropriate dress, including black shoes and black socks for all concert performances. Consult each Director for details.
6. You will be expected to participate in any day trips, overnight trips, out of country tours and possible related fund raising efforts. Your Music Director will provide specifics of any such activity well in advance.
7. The organization requires the support of family and friends throughout the year. Parents and families are encouraged to participate in one of the organization’s committees which include: finance, marketing, ticket sales, sponsorship, planning, Board of Directors, Advisory Council, Fire Hall Concert Series, Dinner / Dance, Spring Concert (Redeemer), ArtsFest. Talk to your ensemble director for more information.
Conditions Of Membership
In consideration for being accepted as a member of a Hamilton All Star Jazz Band Inc. (HASJB) program, on behalf of myself or as the legal guardian of the minor registrant, I acknowledge that staff and / or volunteers have taken all reasonable safety precautions and that this program may involve certain hazards and risks.
I further authorize Hamilton All Star Jazz Band Inc. to obtain any medical care deemed necessary if I am/my child is injured and agree to pay for any resulting expenses. HASJB does not accept any responsibility for any accidents or incidents, that arise from your participation in the HASJB program and that may result in personal injury or death of any persons, or damage sustained by any individual or damage to property owned by any individual, and by signing this form I/we agree to waive and save harmless the HASJB, its directors, officers, employees, agents, and volunteers (collectively “the Releases”) from any and all such claims, loss, damages or causes of action whether arising from the negligence of the releasees or otherwise. The undersigned has read all of the conditions, including requirements for ensemble members, and agrees to be bound by same.
HASJB shall have the right to assign its rights hereunder, without your consent, in whole or in part, to any person, firm or corporation.
PHOTOGRAPHY, RECORDING & PERSONAL INFORMATION RELEASE
Whereas you will, as a member of the HASJB program, participate in approved HASJB activities in which you may be photographed, recorded or videotaped (referred to hereafter as “the Property”); And whereas the HASJB has gathered information provided by you as set out below and has gathered or will gather other information from time to time (hereinafter referred to collectively as “the Information”):
Now therefore, in consideration for being accepted as a member of the HASJB program, which consideration is hereby received and acknowledged, you hereby irrevocably grant to HASJB perpetually, and for all media throughout the world (including print, non- theatrical, home video, CD, internet and any other electronic medium presently in existence or invented in the future), the right to use and incorporate (alone or together with other materials), in whole or in part, the Property and the Information.
You acknowledge that HASJB may post the Information on our website where it may be accessed and downloaded by anyone.
You hereby agree that you will not bring or consent to others bringing claim or action against HASJB on the grounds that anything contained in the Property or the Information, or in the advertising and publicity used in connection herewith, is defamatory, reflects adversely on you, violates any other right whatsoever, including, without limitation, rights of privacy and publicity. You hereby release HASJB, its directors, officers, volunteers, successors and assigns from and against any and all claims, demands, actions, causes of actions, suits, costs, expenses, liabilities, and damages whatsoever that you may hereafter have against HASJB in connection with the Property and the Information.
This agreement shall not obligate HASJB to use the Property or the Information or to use any of the rights granted hereunder, or to prepare, produce, exhibit, distribute or exploit the Property or the Information.