We have an ensemble for all ages!
If you are between the ages of 11 – 25 years and have a passion for performing jazz, we have an ensemble for you! Auditions this year will be conducted virtually. Musicians are asked to submit a video of their audition through the registration process (see below).
Juniors* (ages 11-15) directed by Nora Nolan – virtual session Thursdays, 6:30-7:30 p.m.
Rising Stars* (ages 15-19) directed by Matt Weil – virtual session Wednesdays, 6:30-7:30 p.m.
All Stars* (ages 15-25) directed by Allan Gaumond – virtual session Tuesdays, 6:30-7:30 p.m.
*NOTE: When possible, rehearsals will resume at the Old Fire Hall, 334 Wilson St E, Ancaster from 6:30-9:00 for Juniors and Rising Stars and 6:30-9:30 for All Stars.
Registration and auditions
1. Click here to download the audition material for the ensemble of your choice i.e. Juniors, Rising Stars, All Stars. If you are interested in more than one ensemble, complete the audition requirements for the most advanced ensemble. DO NOT register at this time – you will do that once your audition video is complete.
3. Ensure your recording space is well lit, tidy, and free of any interruptions.
4. Make sure that both your face and instrument are visible in your recording.
5. Do a basic sound check to ensure your sound is clear and not distorted. Any accompaniment tracks i.e. vocal auditions, optional improvisation audition, MUST be played on a different device from the one on which you are recording.
6. Your entire audition should be done in one take. When ready to record, start your recording device and keep it on until all selections have been performed. You can trim the excess.
7. Begin by stating your full name and the ensemble for which you are auditioning i.e. Juniors, Rising Stars, All Stars.
8. Perform all your selections without pausing the video recorder.
9. When your recording is finished, upload it to YouTube making sure that sharing settings are set to “unlisted” not “private”. We will not be able to view private videos. DO NOT email your video to the directors.
10. Click here to register your audition. There is a section for you to paste the link to your Youtube video.
All audition registrations are due by September 28.
Requirements for Ensemble Members – UNDER REVIEW
1. Successful Candidates joining one of the three 20 piece ensembles in September. Cheque to the order of Hamilton All Star Jazz Band Inc., or payment online, must accompany all successful applicants at the first night of practice. This may be cash or a cheque in the amount of $350.00; or one cheque in the amount of $125.00, plus one cheque in the amount of $125.00 post dated no later than October 31st, plus one cheque in the amount of $125.00 post dated no later than November 30 for a total of $375.00. Payments will be pro-rated for candidates joining the ensembles at other times in the year.
Hamilton All Star Jazz Band Inc. is a registered charitable organization. We operate three ensembles to provide talented young people with the opportunity to perform great music in the company of others sharing the same dedication and standards. It is our desire to make participation available to the widest group of students in the community regardless of financial circumstances. If you have any concerns in this regard please have a private and confidential word with your Music Director.
2. You will be expected to be available for all rehearsals starting the last week of September through to the end of June. A list of days and times specific to each band is available from your Music Director. Please try to arrive early so that we may use the time to the greatest benefit.
3. You will be expected to be available for all performances. A list of currently confirmed performances is available from your Music Director. Any additional performances are always checked with ensemble members first before being accepted.
4. You will require a yearlong calendar on the first night of practice and every night thereafter. Please make sure that you continue to participate with your school ensembles, etc., but you should try to keep an accurate calendar of events so that you can avoid any conflicts.
5. All ensemble members will require appropriate dress, including black shoes and black socks for all concert performances. Consult each Director for details.
6. You will be expected to participate in any day trips, overnight trips, out of country tours and possible related fund raising efforts. Your Music Director will provide specifics of any such activity well in advance.
7. The organization requires the support of family and friends throughout the year. Parents and families are encouraged to participate in one of the organization’s committees which include: finance, marketing, ticket sales, sponsorship, planning, Board of Directors, Advisory Council, Fire Hall Concert Series, Dinner / Dance, Spring Concert (Redeemer), ArtsFest. Talk to your ensemble director for more information.
Conditions Of Membership
In consideration for being accepted as a member of a Hamilton All Star Jazz Band Inc. (HASJB) program, on behalf of myself or as the legal guardian of the minor registrant, I acknowledge that staff and / or volunteers have taken all reasonable safety precautions and that this program may involve certain hazards and risks.
I further authorize Hamilton All Star Jazz Band Inc. to obtain any medical care deemed necessary if I am/my child is injured and agree to pay for any resulting expenses. HASJB does not accept any responsibility for any accidents or incidents, that arise from your participation in the HASJB program and that may result in personal injury or death of any persons, or damage sustained by any individual or damage to property owned by any individual, and by signing this form I/we agree to waive and save harmless the HASJB, its directors, officers, employees, agents, and volunteers (collectively “the Releases”) from any and all such claims, loss, damages or causes of action whether arising from the negligence of the releasees or otherwise. The undersigned has read all of the conditions, including requirements for ensemble members, and agrees to be bound by same.
HASJB shall have the right to assign its rights hereunder, without your consent, in whole or in part, to any person, firm or corporation.
PHOTOGRAPHY, RECORDING & PERSONAL INFORMATION RELEASE
Whereas you will, as a member of the HASJB program, participate in approved HASJB activities in which you may be photographed, recorded or videotaped (referred to hereafter as “the Property”); And whereas the HASJB has gathered information provided by you as set out below and has gathered or will gather other information from time to time (hereinafter referred to collectively as “the Information”):
Now therefore, in consideration for being accepted as a member of the HASJB program, which consideration is hereby received and acknowledged, you hereby irrevocably grant to HASJB perpetually, and for all media throughout the world (including print, non- theatrical, home video, CD, internet and any other electronic medium presently in existence or invented in the future), the right to use and incorporate (alone or together with other materials), in whole or in part, the Property and the Information.
You acknowledge that HASJB may post the Information on our website where it may be accessed and downloaded by anyone.
You hereby agree that you will not bring or consent to others bringing claim or action against HASJB on the grounds that anything contained in the Property or the Information, or in the advertising and publicity used in connection herewith, is defamatory, reflects adversely on you, violates any other right whatsoever, including, without limitation, rights of privacy and publicity. You hereby release HASJB, its directors, officers, volunteers, successors and assigns from and against any and all claims, demands, actions, causes of actions, suits, costs, expenses, liabilities, and damages whatsoever that you may hereafter have against HASJB in connection with the Property and the Information.
This agreement shall not obligate HASJB to use the Property or the Information or to use any of the rights granted hereunder, or to prepare, produce, exhibit, distribute or exploit the Property or the Information.